Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Philip Langridge


Well, after reviewing so many "Emulatable singers" i've chosen Philip Langridge who sings The Dream of Gerontius by Elgar with the BBC symphony. Oh how I wish I could do this! Starting off on a high note, he really seems to have the technique down, but already I can see why a teacher may not enjoy him. He shakes so much when he sings some big notes, his shoulders even raise a touch. Honestly, I can't find much more wrong with that unless I get really nitpicky and say that some of his consonants are slightly scooped... Singing in his native language, he really understand the meaning of the text, though his interoperation is a bit dramatic, it really sells. He sounds fantastic. the emotional content and understanding of the text is simply stager ing. Even in his histrionics he seems to pull the pianos into a sweet sound pleasing to my ears. Sometimes his eyes close, and it works for this performance. Perhaps excessive? 

No comments:

Post a Comment