Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Jussi Björling

For this tenor, I picked from Faust, Salut Demeure. Another calm and composed performance. Oh, how I love the old singers. They truly seem to understand the history of their craft, not that today we don't. But the art has evolved into this pop industry (not that I personally think this a bad thing) and it really makes me appreciate the recital form of these arias and art songs that we so lovingly perform. 


Personally, for me, I think he is a little stiff. It's grand, no doubt, but for this french song sometimes his swells feel slightly Italian. But what do I know. I wish there was a little more back space in his sound, it sounds very pingy, and it totally works, but just for my taste I wish there was a little more space in the back. He certainly gets it through his mask, and the notes are there in that ringing place. Perhaps it's the recording that makes me feel like the pitch is quavering slightly. Honestly, after hearing the bravado and weight of the mezzo-sopranos such as Mrs. Bumbry and Mrs. Baker, I just wish there were a little more roundedness… all that being said, after about minute 3:30, he really goes into his technique, as if the previous parts of the song couldn't even compare to the divinity of the high C he utters. Simply fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment